Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Broccoli strascinati

The latest issue of Saveur (no. 128) is really a hit with me. This is the second dish I've tried from the Roman food feature, and I really like it. I usually just steam broccoli. It's fast, it's easy, and it's one of the few green vegetables I can get my youngest daughter to eat without me having to be an annonying nag at the dinner table. However, once in a while you want something with a little more oomph! All I can say is give this one a go, it's simple, quick, and deeeeeeelicious!

The ingredients are olive oil (about 1/4 cup), a bunch of broccoli (about 1 lb.), 3 cloves of garlic, chile flakes (about 1/2 tsp), and some salt. Basic, pure, and wonderful!

One helpful tip is to cut your broccoli florets so they are flat on one side. This helps them brown up nicely.

Het the oil in a 12" skillet just above medium heat (I used heat 6 on my stove). Add the broccoli and cook, stirring once or twice, for 6-8 minutes until it starts browning.

While this is going on, smash your garlic with your handy beach stone (still don't have one?!).

Add the garlic along with 2 tbs of water to the frying pan. (Just take a 1/4 cup measuring cup and fill it about half full and dump it in -- close enough to two tbs, if you ask me.) Stir this around for another 2-3 minutes to brown the garlic.

Add your chile flakes and stir for another 2 minutes to toast it and get that nice chile flavour into your oil.

And serve it up!! Add some salt if you like, pepper too, maybe. This one is also strepitoso!!

No comments:

Post a Comment