Thursday, July 1, 2010

Go nuts!

I bet you're probably wondering what I did with all those egg whites I had left over from the Key lime pie. Ok, I'll probably lose that bet, but anyway, here's what I did with them. I made spiced nuts!
There's a local shop that sells tiny little bags of spiced pecans for about 8 bucks. I confess: I've bought more of these than I probably should have; but they are really, really good. And probably healthy, too. Right?! Anyway, in an effort to save my bank account (it adds up, seriously!), I've been looking for a suitable replacement. Nothing quite stacked up though. There was not enough flavour, or they were too sweet, or too oily, or just plain gross. I had almost given up until I came across the spiced pecan recipe in Bite Me (they have several spiced nut variations in the salad section). I changed it up a little to get the flavours I was looking for, but I followed their technique and it works great.

You need 4 cups of pecan halves, one egg white (I ended up using almost three -- I tried to get one out of the bowl where I'd stored the leftover egg whites from the Key lime pie, but you know egg whites, they kinda gooped together and just fell in), 1 tablespoon of water, 1 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt, and (my little extra boost) 1/ 2 teaspoon of cayenne.

Heat your oven to 250 and oil a baking sheet (I just poured a blob of oil on the tray and wiped it around with some paper towel).

Whisk the egg white(s) and water until they get all foamy.

Combine the sugar and the spices.

Mix the sugar mixture into the egg white, then add the pecans and mix those around until they are well coated.

Scoop the pecans out (I used a strainer to keep them from being too goopy -- remember the extra egg whites?)...

...and place them on the oiled baking sheet.

Pop them in the oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.

Let them cool and either eat up, or store them in an airtight container for snacks and salads later.

They're really, really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment