Saturday, February 26, 2011

Potimarron squash soup

I came across this recipe in Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan -- you know, the book with the elf on the spine that keeps startling me. I was instantly captivated, and set out to make it as soon as possible. Since I was not sure I could source the Red Kuri squash it calls for locally, I set out to order some seeds and grow my own (this is one of those long-term recipes). I found a batch at West Coast Seeds, and they arrived a week or so ago.

I thought I was all set until yesterday when my Seed Savers Exchange catalogue showed up in the mail. While I was flipping through it, I came across a squash called potimarron, and I knew that this is what is really called for in the squash soup. Dorie suggests that Red Kuri and potimarron are the same thing, but the picture was nothing like any Red Kuri squash I'd ever seen. As the president said in The Fifth Element, ``General, I have a doubt.``

So naturally, today I ordered another batch of seeds. I may grow both, but my money is on the potimarron since SSE notes that it is a chestnut flavoured pumpkin (hence the name: marron = chestnut) which is just the way Dorie describes the one called for in her recipe. I should have my seeds in a couple of weeks.

I`ll keep you posted on the progress. It should be about 6 months from now that I finally make the soup, but there are a few steps between now and then. I know I`ve mentioned how I like recipes that start along the lines of ``On day one...,`` but this is on the verge of ridiculous. Welcome to day one, anyway!

3 comments:

  1. I found this blog researching Potimarron and kuri squash. Are they the same squash? My husband and I built a trellis for our Potager this spring and this is one I've been wanting to grow for years! Please post if you ever find out if these two squashes are the same.We decided to grow the Potimarron from Seed Savers instead ( I purchased the seeds back in January) of Baker Creek Kuri squash. We have a suburb-potager and we have to utilize smaller squash to maximize space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roberta, I hope you like the blog. I checked yours out, and you have some great photos! I have a hunch that Red Kuri and Potimarron are not the same thing -- potimarron seems more pear shaped, and it looks like a proper red kuri is more squat with a little neck. I am going for the SSE seeds for sure this summer, and may put a patch of red kuri in just to compare. I`ll be sure to post the outcome! Take care, and happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may be right. I believe the red kuri is going to be too large for my trellis---
    I decided to do the same. I 'm growing one from Baker Creek heirloom named "Squash Red Kuri ( Hokkaido) and Potimarron from SSE,too. I will post later when I figure out the difference. I'm also trying a hybrid named "fairy" to see how they compare(flavor etc). I'm eager to try the French Squash Patisson Golden Marbre Scallop" We liked the white scallop last year but this one is a bright yellow color which I thought would be attractive in the potager and good to eat!

    ReplyDelete